The World Jewish Congress on Monday, June 16, opened the first-ever International Meeting of Special Envoys and Coordinators Combating Antisemitism (SECCA) in the Romanian capital, Bukharest, bringing 32 diverse officials tasked specifically with working toward the protection of Jewish communities to deliberate best practices with more than 50 of the top professionals in the Jewish world. JCU CEO Inna Ioffe took part in the meeting as Ukraine representative.
The gathering endured two days and coincided with the WJC’s 6th National Community Directors’ Forum. The special envoys and coordinators met separately for internal discussions, and then reconvened with the national Jewish community directors for a series of high-level talks at the Palace of the Parliament, under the auspuces of the EU Presidency (Romania).
Key speakers at this gathering included:
• Romanian Prime Minister & EU Council President H.E. Mrs. Viorica Dancila
• Elan Carr, US Special Envoy for Combating Antisemitism
• Felix Klein, Commissioner for Jewish Life in Germany and the Fight Against Antisemitism
• Katharina von Schnurbein, European Commission Coordinator for Combating Antisemitism
• George Santer, Chairman of the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance
• Ingibjorg Solrun Gisladottir, Director of ODIHR
• WJC Commissioner for Combating Antisemitism Julius Meinl
• WJC CEO and Executive Vice President Robert Singer
In closing the conference, WJC CEO and Executive Vice President Robert Singer said: “This was a historic event that brought together special envoys, heads of international organizations, and the World Jewish Congress network of Jewish communities from around the world to discuss the challenges facing Jewish communities openly and honestly, and we are honored to have co-organized this unprecedented gathering. The significance of such a conference cannot be understated. We have now met, and gotten to know each other, and see that we share the same values and the same commitments. We know that your governments care about these challenges. Let us always remember, it is less important who stands against you. What is important is who stands with you. You, the special envoys on combating antisemitism and the Romanian Presidency of the EU under the leadership of Prime Minister Viorica Dancila, have shown that you stand with us, the Jewish people. On behalf of WJC President Ronald S. Lauder and the leadership of the World Jewish Congress, we thank you.”